Saturday, September 28, 2013

Paleo Choco-Coconut Ice Cream Pie

The hardest thing about this Whole 30 has, honestly, been keeping my milk supply up. Without all of the usual carbs (grains) I need lots of fats and calories to make sure that I'm producing enough. When I'm not, then I have an emergency meal.

AKA... excuse to cheat on my Whole 30.



It's not really cheating because all of the ingredients are OK on the program and OK (obviously) for Cali. But the program doesn't like for you to make ''desserts'' as a way of warding off cravings. I figured it was OK for tonight. 

So in honor of Cali's 1/2 birthday, and a low milk supply, I present my Paleo Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream Pie. It is yummy, delicious, and nutritious. :)

My grandmother has made this amazing peppermint ice cream pie that gave me the idea and - of course - anything with the words "ice cream" (or is that one word??) in it has my attention. This is a super easy recipe that took all of 10 minutes to throw together plus some freezer time. Also, I apologize in advance for the crappy photos. I haven't gotten the hang of food photography just yet. So ignore those.



Crust Ingredients
3/4 c pitted dates
3/4 c nuts (You can split the kinds you use but I just used cashews)
1/4 c coconut oil (melted)
2 tbs unsweetened cocoa

Filling Ingredients
3 frozen bananas
1 avocado (soft but not brown)
4 tbs unsweetened cocoa 
3 tbs coconut oil
1/4 c unsweetened coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract (or coconut but I didn't have any)
*You can add 4 more dates or a couple drops of stevia if you like but I thought it was sweet enough*

Mix crust ingredients in food processer and press into pie pan lined with wax paper. Place in freezer to set while you mix the filling.

Add all filling ingredients to food processor. Let the processor run long enough to make sure that all of the avocado is mixed in well. Scoop into pie crust and place back into the freezer until desired texture is reached. It took mine about an hour.

Enjoy!

See? Super easy. I don't do complicated recipes because I'm too lazy. 

And tired.




No comments:

Post a Comment