Thursday, October 31, 2013

Life Lessons from Children's Stories

I recently came across this infographic called 30 Quotes by Dr. Seuss. That Will Change Your Life. While I think that is quite a bold statement, it got me thinking about how many "life lessons" are woven into children's stories. Now, there are definitely those books and movies that have no life lesson, much less, a point at all. 

For example, my sweet friend, Laura, gave me a book called Good Night, Gorilla as part of my shower gift. Her son loves this book and it has a 4 star review rating on Amazon. I can't figure it out. If you can tell me the life lesson in here (aside from "Don't marry a zoo keeper") then I'll stand corrected.

Anyways, there are a lot of kid's books that have valuable lessons in them. Being a parent is tough and we all need a little encouragement sometimes. Seeing as how it looks like the only books I'll be reading for the next few years will be pulled from the children's section, I figured I might as well take what I can from them.

So I've compiled a list of 15 uplifting quotes taken straight from our kids' stories.






1. “... and she loved a boy very, very much-- even more than she loved herself.” 
      ― Shel Silverstein The Giving Tree

2. “I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I know I can.”
       ― Little Engine That Could

3. "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
     -A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh

4. "It has been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. But my mom says some days are just like that."
     - Judith Viorst Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

5. "...because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.” 
     - Margery Williams The Velveteen Rabbit

6. “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
      - J.M. Barrie Peter Pan

7. “But there was one other thing that the grown-ups also knew, and it was this: that however small the
      chance might be of striking lucky, the chance is there."
     - Roald Dahl Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

8. “And Max, the king of all wild things, was lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him best of all.” 
     - Maurice Sendak Where the Wild Things Are

9. “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”
     - Rudyard Kipling The Jungle Book

10. "Safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you!"
      - C.S. Lewis The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

11. “Never hurry and never worry!” 
       ― E.B. WhiteCharlotte's Web

12. “'Why did you do all this for me?' he asked. 'I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you' 'You
        have been my friend' replied Charlotte. 'That, in itself, is a tremendous thing'."
        ― E.B. WhiteCharlotte's Web

13. “I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” 
       ― Lewis CarrollAlice in Wonderland

14.“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” 
      ― Lewis CarrollAlice in Wonderland

15. "I will not play at tug o' war. I'd rather play at hug o' war"
      - Shel Silverstein Where the Sidewalk Ends



So, there ya have it. These are some of mine and T's favorite quotes that we've found. 

And now to completely change direction on you guys, Cali pulled up to standing by herself today and I almost cried tears of joy and sadness at the same time. 

Too big. 
Too fast.

Until next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment