Sunday, December 18, 2016

Sweet Potato Waffles with "Paleo" Caramel Sauce

You know what I'm thinking about right now?Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory

People that pronounce caramel as "car-uh-mel". I pronounce it as "care-uh-mel" and you always sound much fancier than I do. Maybe I should start saying it that way.

*I imagine this in a sweet, Southern drawl, ala Scarlett O'Hara*
"Daaahhling. Would you mind being a peach and passing me the careuhmel?"

Or something to that effect.

Anyways. I got off topic.

Ever since we moved to our new town we've sort of fallen into the tradition of "Waffle Saturday". It actually started out of more of a "Pancake Saturday" until my grandad bought me a waffle maker and our year was made. Anyways, when Tim was playing baseball
Saturdays weren't any different from Mondays which weren't any different from Thursdays. When you play 7 days a week they all start to run together. 

SO.

When he got a "real job" we started taking advantage of the weekends! Which typically start with Cali and Tim sleeping in until 8 or 8:30 (I'm anxiously awaiting the day Nash and I can join in that tradition) and then making waffles, eggs, and bacon.

Always bacon.



I always mix up what kind of waffles we have and one of our favorites are sweet potato! So that's what I'm sharing with you today.


We aren't necessarily a "Paleo" family even thought a lot of what I cook ends up being inadvertently Paleo so these waffles are not. However, they can easily be made to be Paleo with a few tweaks that I'll list in the directions. 

This sauce is so good, by the way. It is made from coconut milk so there is a coconut flavor to it. You can always add some vanilla flavoring to help that out but we love coconut in our house so I didn't bother. If you're not a waffle fan (which, come on. Who isn't??) you can use this sauce on other things like ice cream, oatmeal, etc. 



Now, be patient with me for just a second. I'm going to geek out on you with some light nutrition talk.

If you know me at all you're aware that I'm a slightly obsessed with nutrition and food. It's something I got interested in while in college and it's only grown since. My husband gets pretty tired of all of the "research articles" I'm constantly quoting. HA!

 So here's a little FYI on this recipe:



The caramel sauce is made with whole fat coconut milk and coconut sugar. Whole fat coconut milk may be high in calories and fat but they're actually what's called medium chain fatty acids which digest slower and are used for energy. 

Don't let me lose you just yet.

The coconut sugar has a lower GI rating than table sugar, sitting around 35. WHICH MEANS that it doesn't skyrocket your blood sugar. 

OK. I'm done. Thanks for sticking with me.

Just so you know it was really hard for me to keep that so concise as I'm sure it was equally hard for you to read it. :) 

ANYWAYS. ON TO THE GOOD STUFF, WOMAN.

Here it is, guys. The recipes...








Sweet Potato Waffles

Ingredients
  • 2 cups Flour (regular or whole wheat and you can sub with cassava flour for Paleo)
  • 1 tbs Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • to taste Cinnamon
  • 1.5 cups Milk (I used almond milk)
  • 1/2 cup Yogurt (I used coconut yogurt)
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 4 tbs Oil
  • 1 tbs Sweetener (Honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, etc)
  • 1 cup Mashed Sweet Potato
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat waffle iron. Mix dry ingredients and set aside. Mix remaining ingredients well (make sure sweet potato is thoroughly mixed in) and add to dry ingredients. Cook until desired crispiness in waffle iron.





"Paleo" Caramel Sauce

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup Coconut Sugar (If you're not Paleo then this can be subbed with brown sugar)
  • 13 oz can Full Fat Coconut Milk
  • Optional 1 tsp vanilla
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat on med-high until boiling while stirring frequently. reduce to low and continue to simmer while still stirring occasionally until desired thickness is achieved. This took me about 20-25 minutes. It will continue to thicken as it cools.



ENJOY!

Let me know if you make it and if you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment