Saturday, July 20, 2013

Easy Peasy DIY Teething Necklace

Cali has been teething like crazy these past few days. Drooling like a maniac and chewing on everything she can get her hands on, which ends up being my chest or my shirt when I'm holding her. I decided it was time to step into full on "old lady mom" mode and get a teething necklace for her. Problem was, every one I looked at was more than I could imagine spending. I'm not a jewelry person in the first place and I've had most of my clothes since high school. The ones I've gotten in the past few years have been hand me downs or TJ Maxx sale. The point is that I don't spend money on jewelry.

So I decided to try my hand at being crafty.

This is also something I don't typically do. I'm not a crafty type person. Even though I plan on getting a sewing machine and learning this off season, it's not really something we deem a "necessity" when we pack our car to live out of for the season. And trust me when I say that space is valuable when we move...

This is everything we live with during the season. 

See what I mean? And the back seat is up because they frown on tying your infant to the top of the car.

I kid. I kid.

So while I sewed this necklace by hand, it would probably help you if you have a sewing machine. But if you don't it can be done by hand, you just probably want to go back over your original line with another just to ensure it's strong.

This is the finished product...



So here's what you'll need:

1/4 yd fabric (I used 100% cotton)
Needle & thread
Scissors
Wooden beads (tube or sphere)

That's it! That's my kind of project... Easy.



First you want to cut your fabric to make it about 5 inches wide. Fold it long ways where the underside of the fabric is showing like in the picture above.

Sew the open edges together so that you have a tube.

Next, you'll flip the tube inside of itself so that the pretty side of the fabric is showing. This will take some patience and TLC especially if you've hand sewn it.


Find the middle of the fabric and tie a knot. Then drop a bead into your tube on one side of the knot and bind it in with another knot. Continue doing this on both sides until the necklace is your desired length.



Once you're finished, you can sew the ends together but I just tied mine into, yet another, knot.

Walah!

I don't know if that's how you spell that word...

The point is that you're finished!

From start to end it only took me about an hour. I'll let Cali use it tomorrow and report back with her review.

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment