Monday, November 18, 2013

Update on Sleep Training - 1 Week In

Guys.

It's happening.

I probably should keep my mouth shut and knock on 1,000 wooden surfaces but I'll take the risk.

Cali is sleeping. Naps and all and it's glorious. For the past week she has taken at least two 1 hour naps alone in her crib and today she took one that was 1 hour and 45 minutes! I nearly didn't know what to do with myself. So I cleaned. I know. I've lost my mojo.



As I mentioned last week we started a strict nap and bedtime schedule. In the past, I've gone by what they call "wake times" meaning you keep her up for a specific amount of time based on her age and then put her down for a nap. So she could take a nap at 9, 1, 3, and 5 one day and 8 and 2 the next just depending on what time she wakes up in the morning and how long each nap is. Since that obviously wasn't working for us I moved her to what is called "by the clock" naps, meaning she takes a nap at 9 and 1 every day no matter what. At first I was scared that she wouldn't make it and would just get over tired but by golly it's working. To add to that we've been doing a bedtime routine starting at 6:15 every night and in bed by 7. You can tell her body is finally getting the hint because when 6 o'clock rolls around, she starts rubbing her eyes and crawling into our laps. 

This is how she "carries" things with her. I think she learned it from our dog. We need to get her friends.

On top of the routines we've put in place, I started doing what is called the "Sleep Lady Shuffle" at bedtime. I know. It's a ridiculous name but I was desperate and it is working. So the premise of the "shuffle" is that you rock them until they're drowsy and then place them in the crib. Then you sit next to the crib and reassure them with touch and talking until they fall asleep. The plan says to sit right next to the crib for 3 days then move further and further away every few days until you're out the door. The first two nights were the hardest because I was changing things up on her and she was mad. But at least I was there with her to hold her hand and rub her back. Also, she was fighting sleep when I rocked her so either way I was going to get yelled at.

But then the third night, she just fell asleep. It was a miracle. the fourth night wasn't as great but she only fussed slightly for about 30 minutes. Then 15 minutes and the fifth and sixth night. Tonight she barely made a noise and was asleep in under 5 minutes.

I didn't really follow the exact rules and I'm still sitting right next to her crib but whatever. It's still working!

So that's what we've been up to… sleep training. It's good times in the Gustafson house. I'm actually getting things done. 

Like taking my cousin to Savannah to look at Savannah College of Art and Design.

T would like me to tell you that he does own other shirts.

What's sad is that Cali is almost 8 months old and this is only the 3rd picture we have of all three of us. T doesn't know it yet but I'm making him take some with us over Thanksgiving. 

Muwahaha.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I'll be coming up with some Paleo Thanksgiving recipes and will be sharing them here over the next week. Pecan pie anyone???

Until then!



No comments:

Post a Comment