Saturday, October 26, 2013

Calling All Parents! : A Poll on Baby Sleep

I need some reassurance. 

I need some backup.



I need someone to come attach a caffeine IV to my veins and feed me anti-psychotic medicine to get me through this (seemingly) never ending "phase" of no sleep that Cali is going through.

Any takers??? No? Well fine. But at least answer a question for me...

How does your kid sleep???

Cali will be 7 months old in 2 days.

Wait...

What???



How did that happen?? I feel like I just came home from the hospital with her! She can't be closer to 1 than she is a newborn. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Well, I guess I don't have a say in it, huh? At least when she gets older, I can look forward to her talking. It'll be fun to hear what she has to say about this circus of a life we live. 

Anyways, I'm getting off topic.

This picture has nothing to do with sleep but it's cute and I wanted to put it here.


 Cali will be turning 7 months old and for the last month her sleep habits at night have been horrendous. I know it's my fault. I know where I went wrong. But I didn't know then that 2 days of holding her all day after her shots would result in her never wanting to be put down.

Like, ever.

Maybe those two days just happened to run into her separation anxiety. Maybe I have failed in my parenting by not teaching her to "self-sooth". Geez how I hate those words. They taunt me like a mythical unicorn. I hear rumblings and gossip of the nirvana called "self soothing" but I CAN'T EVER SEEM TO FIND IT.

And the whole "Put her down while she's drowsy but awake" nonsense makes me want to scream. I get it. I have a spirited child (she gets it from her dad. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) but to the people that tell me to put her down drowsy I want to say this...

She's mean to me. You do it.

Not really. She's not mean. But really. You do it.

No matter how drowsy I put her down, she pops right back up and yells at me. Like, loud. 

I won't let her cry it out. I can't. It's just not right for this particular family. But there has GOT to be another way... right??

Please tell me there's another way.

And to make matters worse, in the last 2 weeks, I've met some new people. T and I are pretty anti-social happy to stay home a lot so this is improvement for us. Anyways... it never fails that one of the first things people ask me when they find out that I have a daughter is "Is she sleeping through the night?". And then I try really hard to summon my x-ray laser beam to poke their eyeballs out but it never works.

Yet.

When I tell them that no, in fact, she is not sleeping through the night anymore, they look at me with pity and sadness and proceed to give me every piece of advice about how they got their kid to sleep through the night. Really??? Is everybody else's kid sleeping that well by 7 months old and mine is just out to get me?? I need answers people! Am I alone in this?



Anyways, I need everyone to reassure me and remind me that it passes. I did get the book The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I've just started the sleep logs and am hoping (and crossing my fingers, toes, legs, arms, and wishing on shooting stars) that it helps. I don't mind waking up at night to feed her. I actually enjoy that time we get together. What I do mind is her waking up every hour and it taking me 45 minutes to transfer her back to her crib. 

Do you have any experience with No Cry Sleep Solution? If so, did it make an improvement?

I'll be checking back in about our progress (I'm being optimistic) with this in a few weeks. However, if you're a sleep deprived parent as well, I promise not to rub it in your face at how great Cali will be sleeping.

Too much.



**Disclaimer: I love my sweet, precious, child more than I could've ever imagined. I am SO VERY GRATEFUL for every single second I spend with her... even when she's not sleeping. The fact that I am sleep deprived in no way diminishes my love and appreciation for Cali. I know I am blessed and I thank God for her every. single. day. Multiple times a day.**

No comments:

Post a Comment